Re: Partitioning gpt disk

On 11/25/2014 09:53 PM, Rusi Mody wrote:
Trying to setup linux on lenovo laptop.
Clearly its the windows (C:) that needs to be shrunk for the linux.

I hate dual boot.  Consider:

1. Virtualization, if you can put all of your hardware-intensive applications on one O/S. The best part is that you can run both O/S's and applications at the same time (given the right CPU and chipset, plenty of memory, and a fast drive).

2. Two system drives. This gives you maximum hardware performance for each O/S and application set, but only one can run at a time.

a. If your laptop has a second drive bay, get an SSD for Linux. Changing O/S means adjusting the CMOS clock and boot drive.

    b.  If your laptop only has one drive bay:

1. Get an SSD and put Linux on that. Changing O/S means an anti-static wrist strap, a screwdriver, an anti-static bag, swapping drives, and adjusting the CMOS clock.

2. Get a USB 3.0 flash drive and put Linux on that. Changing O/S means plugging/ unplugging the USB drive and adjusting the CMOS clock.

I do option 2.b.2 on two older Windows XP machines (P4 3.2 GHz HT and Core Duo 1.73 GHz) using SanDisk Cruzer Ultra Fit 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drives. Basically, a poor-man's SSD (Amazon $10.99). Yes, the ports are only USB 2.0 and there is no RAM cache, but overall performance for my typical desktop usage is still better than a HDD. I also tried this on an i7-2600S machine with USB 3.0 ports, and it works even better.

David