Re: Headless server just got suspended by updating systemd

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Matt Ventura
<mattventura@mattventura.net> wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 2:36 PM, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>
>> I am NOT starting another flamewar about systemd, but I was just
>> upgrading a headless system (an old T61p laptop which has no
>> functioning screen any more but which otherwise runs well and which I
>> use as an internal webserver) by running aptitude in an ssh session.
>> All went well until udev got upgraded, when I lost contact with the
>> server and could not ping it.
>>
>> Looking at the laptop, I noticed that the suspend indicator was on,
>> even though I have had power management ignore the lid switch. I
>> opened the lid and it resumed. I was able again to ping and ssh into
>> the server. However, 'w' told me that the machine had been up for 85
>> days, which meant it was time to reboot. I did that - it took a VERY
>> long time to come back up, compared with how quickly it used to reboot
>> - but when I closed the lid, it suspended again.
>>
>> It turns out that logind, a piece of systemd, has taken over power
>> management by default. Editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf so that it
>> contains "HandleLidSwitch=ignore" and restarting logind (with 'sudo
>> systemctl restart systemd-logind')[1] has corrected the problem.
>>
>> My situation is probably rather unusual and so others may not run into
>> the same problem, but just in case, this information may help.
>>
>> Patrick
>>   [1]See
>> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/52643/how-to-disable-auto-suspend-when-i-close-laptop-lid,
>> which I found by Googling.
>>

> What version of udev was it running before the upgrade?

Couldn't say; I haven't updated this particular machine in a while,
and there were over 1000 updates when I did. That's no doubt because
it's a 'testing' system, which is to say that 'testing' is my source
in sources.list.

In any event, I wasn't complaining, just reporting in the hope that my
experience might inform others who experience a similar issue.

Patrick