Re: Problems with grub2/initramfs-tools in chroot

Ross Boylan wrote:
> Over the last week I've repeatedly found my machine unbootable, in the
> sense I couldn't get to a working system without intervention.
> Sometimes I couldn't even get the grub2 menu.
>
> Things are OK now, but I'm trying to understand what went wrong so I
> don't do it again.
>
> I had multiple disks and was working on the first 2.  Initially I
> worked on sdb and left sda blank.  My setup involves various extras:
> software RAID, crypo (cryptsetup) and LVM, though not all system
> instances used all those.  Disks were GPT (or blank); everything was
> wheezy amd64.
(....)
> Could changing the boot order in the BIOS change the drive mappings
> and screw up grub that way?
>
> Thanks for any wisdom.

Historically, bets are off when you change things around in
the boot system. However, IIUC, when you use UUIDs, the BIOS
order shouldn't matters; you can plug and play as you need.[1]

With GRUB you can often recover at the command prompt, as
you did.

I recently had a problem during update-grub that mount
would hang while attempting to mount the container
of extended partitions. But now I think it may
also have been a udev version kernel issue.

You have rather sophisticated needs, but
for me, I recently installed LILO, and I can't
believe how simple my life just became.

greetings,

Joel

1.  http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Device-map