Genrating a core at boot time

Following one of my bug report, the maintainer asks me to install the
debug packages and try generating a core.
But the crash happens only at boot time, the service can be started
afterwards without problem.
So I must reboot the server, while generating a core file that I can
send afterwards.

The daemon is started by start-stop-daemon. Is it enough to add a
cd /tmp
ulimit -c 0
in the /etc/init.d/ script, to get the core file in the /tmp directory ?

This server is in use, thus I would prefer not to reboot it too much
since reboot means service interruption (the time for the BIOS to check
devices, init raid card etc, is rather long), so I prefer to check
rather than trying different configurations and reboot.