Re: The systemd MacGuffin

On 11/18/2014 10:15 AM, Keith Peter wrote:
On 18/11/2014, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
Marty wrote:

I started posting here when, after years of promoting Linux to friends
and employers and finally seeing much progress, my company started
phasing out Debian (systemd was not the only issue but more of a last
straw).

Might I ask:
- what the other straws were,

Problems thought to result from a trend away from a general-purpose
orientation, I think.

Sorry about the vagueness. I'd rather not discuss the details because I
didn't have direct involvement, and I don't want to speak for the
company. For all I know they might have been upstream issues.

- what your company is migrating to?

Didn't ask, probably don't want to know. :/

Regards,

Miles Fidelman

In addition, I'd be quite interested to know what it was about systemd
that added to the decision to phase out Debian.

I think that kind of information would be confidential, and I
am not authorized to say, nor was I directly involved.

 Was it custom init
scripts and the upgrade process, or some odd function that has been
lost?

cheers

None of those kinds of things, which are only the fodder of internet debates, so at least I can answer in the negative. Businesses care only
about risk and cost. They use their own experts and do their own
evaluation, or outsource that expertise. Beyond that, I'll just let my
company's decision speak for itself.

My company is just one data point, though, and I brought it up only as
an explanation of my own response to recent developments. It's not
meant as a commentary on Debian, systemd or my employer. In the
meantime I want to focus on keeping Debian modular in order to help
with any resulting integration issues.