Re: the developers have spoken

On Mi, 19 nov 14, 14:06:16, Haines Brown wrote:
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/11/msg00014.html
> >
> > The winners are:
> >      Option 4 "General Resolution is not required"
>
> I ponder the implications of this vote. I suppose it means that the
> current trajectory of Debian's development is held to be
> satisfactory. Given this, no new general constraint is needed to alter
> that trajectory. I get the impression that at least for Jessie, this
> means udev rather than eudev and that systemd will be the installation
> default; alternatives to it will not be incorporated into the
> installation routine.
>
> Is this a fair assessment?

No, it means that the Debian Developers think that existing decision
mechanism are working well and it is not necessary to interfere via a
GR. Also, the question of the GR was whether other packages should be
allowed to (exclusively) depend on systemd or not.

To your more specific concerns:

1. eudev is currently not even in Debian, so can't be included in Jessie
because it's already frozen, as per usual release policy.

2. systemd is the installation default as per the TC decision

3. an additional question during the install to choose init systems is
not desired by the installer maintainers, but do feel free to submit a
patch (currently none was proposed). A low priority question (i.e.
'expert' install) *might* be accepted for Stretch.

4. pre-seeding an alternative init should be possible if #668001 is
fixed, but Jessie is frozen, so this would probably require either the
Maintainer or the Release Team to set the bug to RC.

The Maintainer has already expressed his reservations because:
- there is a workaround
- it's very late in the release cycle

I *think* you might get through to him and/or the Release Team provided
you can prove (e.g. via extensive testing of the proposed patch) that
nothing breaks if the patch is applied.

Feel free to follow up with specific question you might have if you'd
like to do this.

Kind regards,
Andrei