Re: No Google bubble? (was: systemd for administrators, printable version.)

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 03:49:09PM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2014-11-19, Renaud OLGIATI <renaud@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The claim is your Google search history affects your Google search results.
> >
> > Seems Google tailors your results depending on what you look at;
> > frinstance if they see that you often go to the Wikipedia article on
> > the query subject, they will put wikipedia higher in your results.
> >

> The link posted by Darac (http://dontbubble.us/) claims that Google results
> are tailored *based on your search history*.
>
> I don't have a search history. I had no cookies, either, when I made the
> search. Nor was I logged in to their services.
>
> So I don't see how Google could have tailored my results.

Do you regularly search from the same IP address? Do you regularly
search from the same browser? Do you regularly search from the same
country?

Because Google don't publish their search algorithm, it's impossible to
tell how they tailor their results for "anonymous" users. It's not
beyond the realms of possibility (nor beyond Google's resources) to
tailor results based on a number of factors. "Firefox users prefer
github", "Internet Explorer users are generally conservative", "Chinese
users should not be shown 'unacceptable' ideas" are all customisations
that Google *COULD* implement, all with the goal of getting the best
click-through statistics.