Re: init scripts [was: If Not Systemd, then What?]

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
Le dimanche, 16 novembre 2014, 11.50:25 Miles Fidelman a écrit :
Given all the talk about not being able to influence upstream, it
occurred to me to actually take a look at which of the major
applications I rely on actually come with native systemd service
scripts.
Let's take the inverse view: which of these use the upstream sysvinit
scripts directly ? The answer, as demonstrated below, is: none.

Out of curiosity, how are you comparing these to the init scripts that are generated by making the upstream source?

At the very least, would not the appropriate references be....

bind9
http://sources.debian.net/src/bind9/1:9.9.5.dfsg-5/debian/bind9.init/

http://sources.debian.net/src/bind9/1:9.9.5.dfsg-5/debian/changelog - look for references to init

apache
http://sources.debian.net/src/apache2/2.4.10-7/debian/apache2.init/

http://sources.debian.net/src/apache2/2.4.10-7/debian/changelog

etc.

or a diff between the upstream source and the script in the Debian package

sympa
http://sources.debian.net/src/sympa/6.1.23~dfsg-1/debian/sympa.init/

mailman
http://sources.debian.net/src/mailman/1:2.1.18-1/debian/mailman.init/

mysql
http://sources.debian.net/src/mysql-5.5/5.5.39-1/debian/mysql-server-5.5.mysql.init/

mariadb
http://sources.debian.net/src/mariadb-10.0/10.0.14-3/debian/mariadb-server-10.0.mysql.init/

postgres
http://sources.debian.net/src/postgresql-common/163/debian/postgresql-common.postgresql.init/

postfix
http://sources.debian.net/src/postfix/2.11.3-1/debian/init.d/

spamassassin
http://sources.debian.net/src/spamassassin/3.4.0-3/debian/spamassassin.init/

amavisd
http://sources.debian.net/src/amavisd-new/1:2.10.1-1/debian/amavisd-new.amavis.init/

clamav
http://sources.debian.net/src/clamav/0.98.5~rc1%2Bdfsg-4/debian/clamav-daemon.init.in/

(I've only looked at current sid versions and checked in the debian/
directory. Feel free to run your own investigations using the fantastic
sources.debian.net.)

the in depth analysis would be how many additional changes had to be added to accommodate any incompatibilities between sysvinit scripts and systemd's handling of said scripts

Most come with sysvinit scripts, several come with their own startup
scripts (e.g., apachectl) that get dropped into rc.local.  Not a one
comes with a native systemd service file
The above IMHO demonstrates quite clearly one of the advantages of
systemd over sysvinit: for all of the examples you took, Debian is
currently using a Debian-specific sysvinit script (I haven't
investigated the reasons though), all of which are quite redundant. They
are not shared across distributions at all.

So, the upstream examples you chose actually demonstrate that these were
not targeting Debian enough for the Debian maintainers to use the
provided init scripts (if these were even provided). (Note, I'm not
claiming Debian will not need to modify the eventual systemd
configuration files either, even if I think it's less probable.)

actually, what my experience tells me is that every one of those packages works equally well when installed from a .deb package, or when built directly from upstream source