Re: advice on choosing an AMD chipset

For business desktop use, I prefer onboard graphics for reliability. Also, most add-in cards require fans for cooling which gives you another point of failure while adding to the noise. Power requirements are higher when you want the graphics performance of the faster graphics cards.

For server use, you can get FX boards and install a very cheap video card with low power requirements and no fan. That's actually also my current desktop configuration (uses an HD6450 card with large heatsink) as well. Not running games, I find it works nicely.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query.  Although the AMD processors are apparently not as fast as the Intel ones, I like them.  You are encouraging me to get the Kaveri motherboard.  Figuring these things out in isolation is not optimal.

I have also been taking a bit of interest in the chips being sold by adapteva - the parallela set.   They seem to be designed to work in tandem with an ARM processor of some kind unless I am mistaken.

Regards

Michael Fothergill