Re: network card bridging failing on wheezy

Am 10.11.2014 01:33, schrieb Gary Dale:
> On 09/11/14 03:30 PM, Christian Seiler wrote:
>> Could you post the contents of your /etc/default/networking?
>> Specifically, it should have either no explicit settings (everything
>> commented out) or the following settings (which are default):
>>
>> CONFIGURE_INTERFACES=yes
>> EXCLUDE_INTERFACES=          # (empty)
> Just has comments. No active settings.
>
>> You're under Wheezy, so I'm assuming sysvinit + LSB, could you also
>> check whether the networking script is started at boot?
>>
>> ls -l /etc/rc*.d/S??networking
>>
>> (should turn up a single link in /etc/rcS.d)
> Yes.
>
>> If both is the way it should be, could you perhaps set VERBOSE=yes in
>> /etc/default/networking and look for any relevant boot messages? Not
>> dmesg/syslog, but on the console.[1]
>>
>> Also, might be relevant: did you install any software that might take
>> over network configuration? Such as NetworkManager or wicd or the such?
> No.
>
> When I look at the console messages, the networking doesn't show up even
> with the zz-wait script inserted. Similarly, running
> /etc/init.d/networking start doesn't work.

This is really strange... What does "doesn't work" mean in this context?
No output? A message that it's doing what it wants to do, but it doesn't
actually do it? Some error message?

I just looked at the /etc/init.d/networking source, and I don't see
anything in there that would make it not work other than
        if init_is_upstart; then
                exit 1
        fi
Are you by chance using upstart as init? (Although, while I haven't
tried that with wheezy, ifupdown does install an alternative mechanism
with upstart, so that shouldn't matter...)

If not, what does the following command tell you?

  ifup -a -v

After boot (before you try anything with ifconfig, ip, ifup, ...), does
/run/network/ifstate exist and if so, what's its contents? (Should be
two lines: lo=lo and br0=br0.)

Oh btw. is /etc/init.d/networking still the correct version?

dpkg -l ifupdown (current wheezy should give you 0.7.8)
debsums -a ifupdown (should give lots of OKs)

> But yes, udevd does start. I do get the eth0 link up messages, but they
> seem to be from me logging in and bringing it up manually. After the
> last reboot, I get the messages 67 seconds after the previous dmesg line.
>
> [   31.724230] usb 3-3: new full-speed USB device number 9 using ohci_hcd
> [   32.132170] usb 3-3: device not accepting address 9, error -62
> [   32.132232] hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
> [   99.533084] r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: link down
> [   99.533104] r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: link down
> [   99.536334] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> [  101.996167] r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: link up
> [  101.999283] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

Regardless of the wait time, this is weird: apparently something is
telling eth0 to go up at boot... Or was that you yourself after you
logged in to the system?

- Christian