Re: Has the systemd fork already happened?

On 11/09/2014 11:38 AM, tornow@riseup.net wrote:

Hendrik Boom wrote:

I just encountered a link about refracta.

Refracta would appear to be rather close to Debian testing.  Its home
page is http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/

At  http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118319 it is
described
as (for testing, without libsystemd0, it's pinned).

Anybody know more?  Does it use Debian's repositories?

Are there any other forks?

Having been the long time guinea pig i can give you my opinion.
It is so close to debian that i wouldn't even call it a distribution,
rather a respin, a configured version of Debian (with a few scripts,
one being an installer for liveCD's, one for creating respins too, and
a bit more).

So yes: of course it uses the Debian repos.

The workaround systemd is just a try, it might break at any time (aka
upgrade). iow: One might test it to help get it sorted, but not expect
something like "a solution".

One of them also repackaged a couple of apps (util-linux, cups, etc) ,
removing unecessary dependencies on systemd:
http://refracta.freeforums.org/going-with-the-systemd-flow-or-not-t422-70.html#p4115

I am not a big fan of such workarounds. It doesn't seem to make sense
to work against Debian all the time. If one doesn't want systemd, then
the solution is to leave. I mean: If you use Debian, then you use it
cause it is rock solid, aka stable. If you want to (have to) fiddle all
the time ... kinda beats the purpose.

Like pointed out above: Those are my opinions, nothing "official" from
refracta.

I think it might be worthwhile to consider some other derivative distros:
I don't mean consider them _instead_ of Refracta, I mean consider how
they work and exist. I'm thinking particularly of Mint, which uses a
lot of Ubuntu, and its repos. Isn't Refracta a similar situation?
(And one hopes that Mint also will reject systemd. We shall see.)

--doug