SOLVED - Re: alsa-utils save / restore not working http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768665

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote on 09/11/14 20:04:
Hi

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 06:12:32PM +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
Pardon me, but I'm a bit frustrated on how to debug

does /var/run get saved across reboots?

I would not expect so.  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.13.html

Where are the state of the sound card(s) saved / restored?

I don't use alsa-utils, but based on my understanding of the FHS, I'd
expect somewhere under /var/lib/alsa-utils.

But from reading the bug report, I'm led to believe it is
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state

Hope this helps

The problem was that I'd plugged the pc speakers into the "rear speakers output" and KDE was set to do analogue stereo output, so it muted "surround output" and hence the "rear speakers".

With the pc speakers plugged into the front/line output, things worked much better.

Thankfully I still had the documentation for motherboard handy.

Arthur.