Re: Changes in the way tar(1) constructs directory permissions

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014, John Conover wrote:
> and look at the ownership of the cups directory and compare it to the
> ownership in /etc.

In this example, you're not archiving etc/cups or etc, you're just
archiving etc/cups/printers.conf, which means that tar must create
etc/cups itself, and has no record of what the original permissions of
etc/cups were.

I've verified that this behaves the same way in 1.23-3 and 1.26+dfsg-0.1
as it does in 1.27-1.

If you want to keep the permissions of etc/cups, then you want:

sudo bash -c 'tar -C / --no-recursion -cvf xxx.tar.gz etc/cups/printers.conf etc/cups; tar -vtf xxx.tar.gz; tar -vxf xxx.tar.gz; ls -lR etc;'

> for some details, where it would seem that the behavior is
> acceptable-at issue is that it changed between the last versions of
> Linux, and the newer.

I have no idea what you mean by "last versions of Linux". The output of
dpkg -l tar; or tar --version; will tell us what version(s) of tar
you're using.

"It's not Hollywood. War is real, war is primarily not about defeat or
victory, it is about death. I've seen thousands and thousands of dead
bodies. Do you think I want to have an academic debate on this
subject?"
 -- Robert Fisk