Re: useradd segmentation fault

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014, Joris Bolsens wrote:
> Sorry, pretty new to linux still. put a few questions in-line.

No worries.

> On 11/08/2014 09:39 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Before filing a bug, please
> >
> > 1) Enable coredumps
> Did some googling, I have to recompile the kernel for this?
> the one thing i did find on how to do it without was for the fedora
> kernel.

Nah. All you have to do is something like the following:

ulimit -c unlimited;
useradd foo;
gdb /usr/sbin/useradd core;
bt full;

or similar.

You'll also want to install libc6-dbg gdb; and similar.

This will give you an idea of where the code is segfaulting, and whether
it's in a library which useradd is calling, or something else entirely.

If the backtrace doesn't look at all useful, something like:

apt-get build-dep passwd;
DEB_BUILD_OPTS="nostrip,noopt" apt-get source -b passwd;

should in theory give you a passwd .deb file with debugging symbols and
no optimization which you can then install to give you a more useful
backtrace.

You also might start by just reinstalling passwd in case there was some
corruption somewhere to make sure you can replicate the segfault.

I finally developed
a computer with feelings.
It just doesn't have
feelings for me.