Re: FW: Time for compassion and the Init GR

On 11/6/2014 4:55 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:58:29 +0000
> From: Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>
> To: debian-project@lists.debian.org
> Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Time for compassion and the Init GR
>

> Early morning, Wednesday, November 19, the results of the GR on init
> system coupling will be announced.
> No result will make everyone happy.  In fact, that morning, some of our
> developers, users and contributors will be really unhappy.
>
> I would be dishonest if I said I didn't hope to be happy and reassured that
> morning.  I suspect we all hope that the project will agree with our
> position on this complex and emotionally intense issue and reassure us
> that  our values are close to those of the project; reassure us that
> this is a place where we can safely work together.
>
> I don't know who, but I know that for some of the people I care about in
> the project--people whose opinion I value--that morning will bring
> disappointment, sadness, frustration and fear.  I may well be one of
> those people.
>
> However, Wednesday November 19 and every day after, Debian needs to work
> together.  Today, now, before the results are announced, we have an
> opportunity to extend compassion and empathy and remind ourselves of the
> spirit in which we'd like to work together.
>
> I'm hoping that we can all take a few minutes to gain empathy for those
> who disagree with us.  Then I'm hoping we can use that understanding to
> reassure them that they are valued and respected and their concerns
> considered even when we end up strongly disagreeing with them or valuing
> different things.  Towards that, I ask you to take a few minutes to
> consider how you will feel if the option other than further discussion
> that you least favor is selected by the project.  Actually, for some of
> us, the prospect of months of further discussion of this issue itself is
> likely to have its own negative feelings.  For the moment though, I ask
> that you focus on one of the other options.
>
> What do you feel?  Disappointment that the project didn't value
> something important to you?  Fear about whether Debian will meet your
> needs as an OS and community?  Sadness?  Frustration?  Fear when you
> consider whether you'll be able to get your work done?
>
> What actions could other members of the project take to turn some of
> those feelings around without compromising their beliefs, changing their
> mind, or giving up on the values that are important to them?  I'll
> answer this question for myself in a moment; if you cannot think of
> things that  would help you, perhaps some of the things that would help
> me would also be valuable to you.  If not, you could find someone you
> trust and value and work together to see what you could ask for to
> receive emotional care.
>
> It's almost certainly true that others in the project--people you have
> [...]

Unfortunately, from the tone of the message I can almost guess whet the
result of the GR will be.  I hope I'm wrong - but if I'm not, it's going
to create a rift in debian users, and could well result in a fork and/or
large numbers of people abandoning Debian.

Jerry