Wheezy fails to complete boot after last update

After the last upgrade (kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 and wget), I have a Debian/Wheezy server that isn't starting. It gets to the network then stops.

The system isn't hung - it will still output messages to the screen when I plug and unplug USB devices, and I can use the SysRq key to do the reisub bit and see the messages from the various commands.

When I boot to rescue mode, I get to the same point but it shows more network messages that seem to show the eth0 link is up, but it doesn't get beyond that.

I can boot from sysrescuecd and everything works. And I can run the system in chroot and start the services I need for it do its job temporarily (bind, samba, cups) but I can't ssh to it. This is a pain because the server is remote (35 minutes away) so I can only work on it in person. And in person I have to steal a keyboard and monitor from another machine.

Anyway, within the chroot I can view the various system logs but they don't show much. They show me (remotely) rebooting the server after the kernel upgrade then nothing until I chroot into it from sysrescuecd. Dmesg is similarly absent. The dmesg log is from the previous time I rebooted.

The onscreen messages during a boot showed the system failing to load the firmware for the Realtek NIC (8111E) but installing the realtek firmware package didn't help - it just fixed the error message.

The system is an ASUS M5A88-M mainboard with an AMD Fx4100 processor. It has a 3-disk mdadm RAID array setup as a RAID-1 /dev/md0 boot partition and RAID-5 /dev/md1p1 as root and /dev/md1p2 as /home.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can track down and/or fix this problem?