Re: Thinking about "preserving freedom of choice of init systems" and future of udev...

On 10/28/2014 8:45 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>> Martinx writes:
>>> I'm wondering here about this subject and what it means...
>>> So, what if `udev` becomes useless without `systemd` as PID1?

>> The someone will fork it.  But it won't happen, partly for that reason.

> I believe it's called eudev - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/eudev/

Right. eudev was forked by some gentoo devs when systemd consumed udev.

The biggest problem (actually, it is more like snarky criticisms from
systemd fanbois) I've heard about it right now is that because it only
has one or two maintainers, that it doesn't keep up with
changes/improvements (especially security related things) with current udev.

So, please, by all means, if you are a developer, please go talk to the
eudev guys and see about helping with keeping eudev updated with the
*good* things in udev development...