Re: Who's locking down the code?

On 10/27/2014 10:14 AM, Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis wrote:
Στις 25-10-2014 20:30, golinux@riseup.net έγÏ?αψε:
On 2014-10-25 12:14, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
golinux wrote:
Would appreciate comments on this observation:

"Look at the source code (while you're at it, note who are the
upstream maintainers of util-linux). Even they (so far) allow
compilation without systemd. It is Debian who are introducing systemd
dependencies even where it is actually optional in the upstream
source."

If upstream is allowing choice, why is Debian cutting it off? Maybe
I'm missing something . . .

golinux

The fact that an executable is linked against a systemd library
doesn't
automatically mean you have to run systemd as PID1.

This is especially true for the sd-daemon and sd-journal libraries in
this case.

Laurent Bigonville

I have heard that argument before.  I counter that it's about more
than PID1.  It seems that even having systemd libraries etc. is a
little like being somewhat pregnant - precursors to a little bundle of
joy to be delivered at a later date when the PTB see fit. In other
words, a trojan of sorts that will come to bite us. Sorry, not much
trust these days . . .  :(

I tend to agree with you golinux.

We'll maybe forced to use systemd, if we don't want to start uuidd
daemon from the start, cause of this commit in util-linux, libuuid[1].

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux-ng/msg09698.html

Regards,
-- Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis

It may have started in 2009 with this util-linux message:

 Anyway, do we really need to support suid uuidd? What about to drop
 all this stuff and require that uuidd has to be started by init
 scripts only? What about to drop exec-from-library at all?
http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux-ng/msg05967.html

Debian bug report in June 2014:
   commit ea4f8845f0241c714f9487ece5bb6900fc18a9e0