Need help setting up printing in Jessie

I'm running Jessie on an HP Pentium host that's a several years old.
Desktop software is Xfce4 and CUPS from a Debian repository, as is all
software on the box. Printing works for the LibreOffice suite, but not
for Emacs23-lucid, or for plain text files. What do I need to do to
get them configured? I particularly want to get working the Emacs23
Postscript Print Buffer, as I use Emacs for my Bash script and email
writing. Is there some debug mode that I can turn on to get more
information? What happens is basically nothing. I select the B+W
print buffer from the file menu in the Emacs23-lucid window, and...
nothing comes out of my printer, and nothing is added to the jobs
list in CUPS.

TIA

--
Paul E Condon