Re: Strange behavior in real terminals

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 03:06:04PM -0600, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I noticed that by using the cursor keys in the default terminals (Ctrl+Alt+1
> to 6) one can move the cursor to empty lines. Is this how it is supposed to
> behave?.

No. Bash usually hooks the Up and Down cursor keys to history-recall
functions; that is, pressing Up recalls the most recent line from
history, Up again the next most recent and so on.

However, this isn't a "permanent" hook; that is, it's only set up when
bash thinks it needs to do so (at the start of a session is the most
obvious time). If a program has corrupted the terminal, then this hook
may have been lost so up and down do something different. Running the
"reset" command *should* reset the terminal (clear the screen,
reconfigure the keys and so on).