Re: reInstalling my laptop

On 10/26/2014 3:17 PM, Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be> wrote:
> Thank so much for your answers.
> After reading them in the list archives, I think I will go for:
> - no dedicated partition for /boot;

For my new debian groupware server (sogo, working great so far), I just
installed with the defaults, which apparently is no separate /boot...

On gentoo at least, a separate /boot is recommended (or at least
provided in the example) in the handbook, for one security reason...

It is also auto-unmounted after booting (at least I know I didn't do
anything myself to configure that), and it does make sense that it is
kind of impossible for anything to modify an unmounted filesystem...

Now, whether or not that actually provides any real security buffer, or
it falls into the category of feel-good 'security-through-obscurity' is
beyond me to answer definitively... I've actually always wondered about
this, so I think I'll go ask on the gentoo list.