Re: visualize data transfer in shell

Hans wrote:
Hi folks,

is there a way, to visualize data transfer in the shell? Years ago, I used a
command like "hash on" or similar, which shows a progress bar made of hash (#)
signs in the shell, when I transferred data with i.e. rsync.

If you're talking watching data transfer during an ftp tranfer, then "hash" is exactly the right command (see man ftp).

With rsync, it's the --progress flag (see man rsync)

If you're more interested in transfer via a network port, then vnstat and ntop are the tools for the job.

Miles Fidelman