Re: reInstalling my laptop

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:43:53 +0100
Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be> wrote:

> Hi the list,
>
> I will reinstall my laptop.
>
> I have a question about partitioning.
> I will use this setting:
> /boot
> swap
> The rest under LVM (/, /var, /tmp, /home) ?
>
> So, my question: /boot or not /boot ?
>
> Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be>
>
> P.S. I do not subscribe to the list; keep me in Cc:

Only once, over a period of quite a few years, has one of my systems
failed to find LVM on booting, so on that occasion my life was easier
because /boot was separate. On one other occasion with a booting
problem, the fact that /boot was separate provided a little more data
to diagnose the problem.

On the other hand, in the early days of grub, there were at least three
occasions when a new grub did not correctly handle a separate /boot.
Fixing that became routine... but I haven't seen it happen since long
before grub2 arrived.

Your call...

--
Joe