Re: Debian fork

On 21 October 2014 19:18, Florent Peterschmitt <florent@peterschmitt.fr> wrote:
> Le 21/10/2014 18:46, Peter Nieman a écrit :
>> On 21/10/14 17:53, Doug wrote:
>>> What do you suggest instead of cups? Or do you not print?
>>
>> I'm using good old lpr with a self-made GUI. I consider cups an obese
>> replacement of something I never had a problem with.
>> But even though I don't have cups, I can't get rid of libcups2. If I try
>> to remove it, aptitude wants to remove 32 other packages. Crazy, isn't it?
>>
>> p.
>>

> That's the "problem" of packages. If other users want to use CUPS with
> their softwares, *shared* libraries are needed.
>
> I mostly read this list, and I see most of people who should use Gentoo
> or Slackware rather than Debian…

That appears to be the reality hitting me too at the moment, busy
contemplating that very thing...

It is also quite obvious that the larger Debian community are mostly
against this switch to systemd, so I am hoping that the community
pulls together to at least make this just another option, but
definitely not the default.

If that were to happen I too would support this fork, although I may
already be too happy running Gentoo/Slackware/*BSD/Something else.

Come on Debian, you should know better!

:)