Re: Avoid reboot by loading initramfs again

DM> I think  it depends  on what  you're trying to  achieve and  what you're
DM> trying to avoid.

Well my first idea was to have a kind of management OS that I can load
in memory to do some stuff like disk partitioning, fsck, etc...

For example one idea I have in mind is BTRFS snapshots. I can take a
snapshot of my root, and when something goes wrong, I run the
management image to revert the root FS. So I'm looking for a way to
stop the system, run the management image and restart from there. This
way, I can avoid all the hardware and memory checks while booting.

Note that kexec is already doing that [1]. My question was more on how
to cleanly stop and run my memory image.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/BootProcessSpeedup#Using_kexec_for_warm_reboots