Re: download files from iceweasel using kdialog

On 10/19/2014 at 08:32 AM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> When I download a file via chromium, it uses kdialog to figure out
> where the file is supposed to be stored on the disk. I find this GUI
> to be very intuitive compared to what iceweasel uses for choosing the
> file location.
>
> Is there any way to tell iceweasel to use kdialog to choose the file
> location when I try to download something?

I'm pretty sure no; I'm pretty sure that Iceweasel uses the GTK
file-chooser dialog, and that if this is optional, it would be a
compile-time option (due to linking concerns if nothing else).

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/12/firefox-kde-integration-in-debian-testing/

seems to support that; apparently people have gotten it working, but it
requires a separate Firefox package, which was apparently built from a
patched version of the Firefox source (I think - details not provided).

According to the comments on that blog post, there are and/or have been
bugs filed against Firefox (upstream) about that, over the course of
years - but presumably not much in the way of resulting changes, or else
the separate package probably wouldn't be necessary.

--
   The Wanderer