Re: virtual package question

Don Armstrong wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
As I dig more into the whole question of installing alternate init systems,
I realize that I'm a bit confused about the behavior of apt- when it comes
to virtual packages; and I can't find any documentation that clarifies
things.
You're looking for Policy §7.5, specifically:

      To specify which of a set of real packages should be the default to
      satisfy a particular dependency on a virtual package, list the real
      package as an alternative before the virtual one.

I know I ran across this at some point when installing Postfix - but I
can't for the life of me remember how this all worked out, an can't
find documentation anywhere.
postfix Provides: mail-transport-agent.

Things that need an MTA depend on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; this is
how the default is defined.

Thanks Don, which brings us to the other part of my question....

- how does one explicitly install a lower-priority alternative, and

- what, if anything, prevents the default alternative from being reinstalled during a future install (e.g, as part of a dependency fulfillment or an updgrade)?

Miles