Re: alpine status?

On 15/10/2014, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, francis picabia wrote:

>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I suggest that you visit
>>> http://mailman13.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/alpine-info
>>> and subscribe to that mailing list, and, post your query there.
>>>
>>> I believe that you would find that development of alpine, is alive and
>>> well, and, that list includes the developers.
>>>
>>> I believe that the version of alpine that I use, is 2.00, running on
>>> Debian 6.
>>
>> Bret's information is out of date.
>>
>> There is no life at the University of Washington project.
>> The mailing list archives are gone.  A subscribe request
>> goes unanswered.  There is a Debian bug report
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687582
>> and no progress on that for a couple of years.
>> This is actually my incentive for looking into this - I run
>> into this bug every day.
>>
>> re-alpine is a new project taking over the alpine effort.
>> However, the latest files there are from 2012, so I wonder
>> how active this project is.
>>

> See message below.
>
> It is from the alpine mailing list to which I referred, which has
> distributed messages this month, and, the message below, refers to
> ongoing development of alpine.
>
> If you do not believe me, that the alpine mailing list is still active,
> send a message direct to the poster of the message below, asking about
> the mailing list.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>   you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>    Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>    A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>    written by Douglas Adams,
>    published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
>>
>> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:40:53
>> From: Eduardo Chappa <chappa@gmx.com>
>
>> Cc: alpine-info@u.washington.edu
>> Subject: Re: [Alpine-info] Signing problems
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014, Gregory Heytings wrote:
>>
>> > Hi list,
>> >
>> > I try to sign emails with Alpine (latest version, 2.11).
>>
>> Gregory,
>>
>>    Neither Alpine 2.11 nor previous versions, are very good at doing
>> S/MIME. Please try the latest alpha version to see if that makes a
>> difference with you.
>> You can get it at
>>
>> http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/alpha/release/
>>
>> (I am working out a few minor bugs in that release, and adding new
>> features at this time.)
>>
>>   Now, in regards to verifying signatures. Well, that is a complex issue.
>> There are many ways in which a signed message can fail to verify. Some of
>> these
>> ways are predictable, and the latest alpha pre-release attempts up to 8
>> strategies to verify a signed message before it gives up in verifying the
> [...]

And, in going to the web page at
http://mailman13.u.washington.edu/mailman/subscribe/alpine-info
as cited, and, thence, from that web page, following the link therein,
within the sentence
"To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the
Alpine-info Archives."
to the web page at
http://mailman13.u.washington.edu/pipermail/alpine-info/
I find that the mailing list archive goes from September 2006, to October 2014.

And, with

"