Re: Conflict of interest in Debian

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:02:10AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:05:06 -0400
> Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 07:56:40AM -0400, Marty wrote:
> > > It seems like free software employment and market share come with
> > > increasing risk to objectivity and technical quality. It's my main
> > > concern as a Debian user, as I consider recent trends.
> > >
> > > I hope that Debian members consider an amendment to restrict voting
> > > rights for members who have a financial interest in Debian or in any
> > > project used by Debian, to promote and protect the public interest.
> > >

> > Why, what is the reason for that? Explain why they are less objective
> > or anyone having no financial interest is more objective.
>
> You know darn well, Henning. In anything, not just Linux, not just
> Debian, not just systemd, when somebody has the responsibility of doing
> the best thing for the community or other entity, but they also have a
> financial stake in which way the thing goes, they have a huge incentive
> to vote in a way detrimental to the community or other entity. This is
> why bribery is a crime.

Well thanks for pointing that out. But this effort can be seen as a way to
tilt the voting based on one aspect. And this being _systemd_. Now a group
has identified that another group with "financial interest" is more likely
to vote for sytemd. So lets disenfranchise those. That is equally bad.

And second "financial interest" != bribery. This is a very distorted view.
My work is based on debian as a development platform. So I do have a
financial interest in debian being a stable platform. So I shall be
disenfranchised?

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com