Re: Conflict of interest in Debian

Marty,

I think I see why you suggest this: as a corporate user of Debian, I
think you would like to see Debian orientations more
enterprise-friendly, for example by loosening external software license
policy or upgrade frequency. Being myself such a user, I understand that
the stability and open-source policy of Debian can be seen as too
rigorous by some.

Nevertheless, Debian is a general purpose distribution, so one can not
simply, not walk into Mordor, but expect that Debian will perfectly
match its requirements, as loosen as they may be. In addition, the
policy elements which are a problem to you may be precisely what other
find attractive with Debian; for example, if the external software
license policy is your issue, other persons such as power users or human
right activists will appreciate the default absence of proprietary
software, especially in the post-Snowden era. At a more prosaic level,
the stability of external software versions will be fine for some, like
financial institutions, while others, like start-ups, will find it too
restrictive.

IMHO, you think the problem the wrong way: instead of wanting to alter
Debian to fit your needs, I think you should just find the operating
system matching your needs; for example, for users finding Debian too
restrictive or old-fashioned regarding external software, using Ubuntu
will be just fine. If third-party software is your main problem, you can
as well use non-official APT repos; main Linux software holding repos
have a Debian version of these.

Finally, at a down-to-earth level, following your suggestion would
probably be problematical: how to be sure a user asserting himself as a
corporate user really is one?

Hoping it will help,

Regards.

--
David Guyot
Administrateur système, réseau et télécom / Sysadmin