Re: how to identify reverse dependencies?

On 10/13/14, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Apropos all the discussion on systemd, I'm curious about how to
> determine all the packages that depend on it.
>
> All my systems are running squeeze (call me very conservative when it
> comes to upgrades - actually, I have one, very stable virtual machine
> that still runs lenny)), and apt-rdepends seems to only run on wheezy
> and above.
>
> Are there any tools for checking reverse dependencies - particularly
> against the jessie repo?  In particular a tool that does not have to be
> running on jessie, to check dependencies as regards jessie.

DON'T know if this can be tweaked for what you need but "apt-cache
showpkg" provides reverse depends, *sometimes* anyway.. I just tested
it on something I do NOT have installed (the puzzle game Palapeli),
and it still worked. I've been *a-suming* it will provide what you
seek based on what repository CHOICES each user has personally
specified in sources.list (for APT)....

Ok, I just got the bright idea to try it on mine and got this back:

+++++++
Reverse Depends:
  udev:i386,systemd 28
  systemd:i386,systemd
  udev,systemd 28
  systemd-sysv,systemd 44-11+deb7u4
  systemd-gui,systemd 44-11+deb7u4
  libpam-systemd,systemd 44-11+deb7u4
  pcscd,systemd
  live-config-systemd,systemd
  lighttpd,systemd 29.1
++++++++

DISCLAIMER because of the inevitable question: No, I have no idea what
I have at this point. I keep saying I think my (first) debootstrapped
distro is picking and pulling at things behind the scenes. Something
compatibility wise is just not right ever since I went that route.

My sources.list is pulling by distro name (and not stable, testing,
etc) so I've been *a-suming* Jessie is not involved in apt-cache
queries. A quick peek at the Net says that should be right, that my
CHOICE of repositories should rule what results my apt-cache queries
bring. If someone can think of a package that is ONLY in Jessie, I
could test it to see if anything pulls up...

Have had to take some (cognitive) down time and now trying to get back
into the swing of things. Just a little bit ago set back in motion
finishing out that debootstrapped [install] to FINALLY catch up to
speed with you all. Tell you what, this whole systemd deal..... am
feeling more lost right this very second than ten, fifteen years ago
when Linux was first hitting my radar via incidental mentions by
fellow list members over at W3C (w3.org).. *grin*

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *