Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>>
>> I really don't buy the argument that "the GR proposal was too quiet to
>> be noticed by 6+ people". I mean: the proposition happened to be in the
>> middle of the post-TC decision wave, on the mailing lists where it
>> belonged. The people who cared about the whole "default init for Debian"
>> question _were_ following and contributing to these various lists. I'm
>> therefore claiming that the people who missed the GR proposal were not
>> sufficiently interested (otherwise they would've been subscribed to
>> either -vote or -project, where these proposals belong). I'm also
>> thankful that the proposer limited his proposal to these lists (I'd have
>> considered a spread of the call over -devel, -user or other lists an
>> abuse).
>>

> Actually - I'd contest that, for four reasons:
>
> - as I've previously noted - the major impacts of systemd are being (going
> to be) felt by sysadmins and upstream developers - who don't necessarily
> follow debian-devel all that closely -- or have input
>
> - the actual GR call for vote was buried on debian-vote - immediately jumped
> on regarding wording and procedural discussions
You do understand that we have procedured at Debian to handle stuff
like GR proposals, right? And that procedure involves posting to
debian-vote, so doing that was the right thing to do.

> - actual discussion of the GR on -devel was completely swamped by all the
> other discussion of systemd
That's why it was posted to -vote, where it belonged to.

> - folks have just now pointed to the -project list --- this is the first
> I've ever heard of that list - and I note that it is not even listed on
> https://lists.debian.org/users.html or https://lists.debian.org/devel.html
> -- only on the full list of lists, where it's buried without a description
> of what it's for
Debian Developers know of this (or at least should know of these lists
and subscibe to the ones they are interested in). Since we are
building the distribution and have to carry the additional work our
decisions cause, it's good to follow well-established procedures. That
was done here, and the attempt has failed.
If users notice these project-internal things is not really a concern
- for users we write release notes, and encourage involvement in
discussions about the subject (or even explicitly request feedback).
So, there is really nothing wrong or broken here, everything works as it should.
And the thing we have to do now is to make Jessie as good as possible,
and the systemd transition as painless and bug-free as possible. And
of course, also document what people need to do if they want sysvinit
instead of systemd.
Cheers,
    Matthias