Re: Problem with external monitor

On 13/10/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>              physical id: 2
>>              bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
>>              version: 06
>>              width: 64 bits
>>              clock: 33MHz
>>              capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list
>>              configuration: latency=0
>>              resources: memory:d3000000-d33fffff
>> memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)
>>
>> "
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>
>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>>  you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>>  written by Douglas Adams,
>>  published by Pan Books, 1992

> I am wondering whether a problem is that Debian 7 apparently does not
> recognise the nVidia graphics card.
>
> In the thread with the subject "Nvidia No GLX to using OpenGL" is reference
> https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_195.36.31
> and, in going there, I found
>
> "
> Identification
>
> The NVIDIA graphics processing unit (GPU) series/codename of an
> installed video card can usually be identified using the lspci
> command. For example:
>
> $ lspci -nn | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G80
> [GeForce 8800 GTS] [10de:0193] (rev a2)
> See HowToIdentifyADevice/PCI for more information. The PCI ID can be
> used to verify device support.
>
> nvidia-detect
> The nvidia-detect script (nvidia-detect package in non-free) can also
> be used to identify the GPU and required driver:
>
> $ nvidia-detect
> Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108
> [GeForce GT 430] [10de:0de1] (rev a1)
> Your card is supported by the default drivers.
> It is recommended to install the
>     nvidia-glx
> package.
> "
>
> The command line output below (from a root terminal session) shows
> that the nvidia-detect package was not initially installed, so I
> installed it, using synaptic, and then ran the command again.
>
> "
> root@bret-av3772g-deb:/home/bret# lspci -nn | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell
> Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)
> root@bret-av3772g-deb:/home/bret# nvidia-detect
> bash: nvidia-detect: command not found
> root@bret-av3772g-deb:/home/bret# nvidia-detect
> No NVIDIA GPU detected.
> root@bret-av3772g-deb:/home/bret#
> "
>
> My interpretation of that, is that Debian 7 does not detect the nVidia
> graphics adaptor, which (to me) is weird, given that lshw shows the

However, from Ubuntu 14.04.1.LTS, which I have now installed, and got
the external monitor working, and display output directed to only that
monitor, I have

"
bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen
Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)

>From the Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS lshw output, I get

"
*-pci:0
             product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI
Express x16 Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 06
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:40 ioport:4000(size=4096)
memory:d2000000-d2ffffff ioport:a0000000(size=536870912)
           *-display
                product: GK107M [GeForce GT 750M]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                resources: irq:51 memory:d2000000-d2ffffff
memory:a0000000-afffffff memory:b0000000-b1ffffff
ioport:4000(size=128) memory:b2000000-b207ffff
        *-display
             product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 06
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:48 memory:d3000000-d33fffff
memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)
"

So, apart from having got the external monitor to work, as a "Plug and
Play" device, with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, which operating system, I find
difficult to use, I am none the wiser.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale