Re: find out why a package was installed

On Friday 10 October 2014 14:31:26 Marius Gavrilescu wrote:
> Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> writes:
> > Is there an apt command that will tell me why package X was installed?
> > For instance, was it manually installed, or installed as a
> > dependency/recommends of package Y?
>
> aptitude why <package>

I like to look (again) at commands atht come up in thsi way.  So I ran a
specimen.  I loved teh "conversation" that ensued and its ending:

 lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude why cups
i   printer-driver-splix Depends cups (>= 1.5.0-3~)
lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude why printer-driver-splix
i   splix Depends printer-driver-splix
lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude why splix
Unable to find a reason to install splix.
lisi@Tux-II:~$
;-))

The reason, of course, is that I told it to do so.

Lisi