Re: Bash usage: was implicit linkage

On 12/10/14 04:12, Peter Zoeller wrote:
But the nice
thing is shell scripting is simplistic easy to learn and understand.

I refer the audience to David A. Wheeler's essay[1] on how to handle filenames correctly in shell scripts, and to the bug report that he filed against POSIX.1-2008[2] on the subject. From those, I take away the lesson that no, shell scripting is not simplistic, easy to learn, and easy to understand. It just *looks* simplistic, easy to learn, and easy to understand, in ways that make it a horribly effective footgun.

[1] http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/filenames-in-shell.html

[2] http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=248 - If the people who curate the standard commit these kinds of errors when writing examples for the standard, what hope does J. Random User have?