Re: Proposal: An alternative to mailing lists which isn't a forum

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 18:11:16 +0300
softwatt <softwatt@gmx.com> wrote:

> There's a sub-question here: How does this proposal compare to Usenet?

For me, Usenet forums quickly become the stuff I forgot I ever had. Out
of sight, out of mind. I don't think I'm alone, either, because a lot
of forums have nothing for weeks at a time.

> However, both Usenet and this proposal are superior to mailing lists
> in all aspects. Feel free to correct me here. Do mailing lists have
> any advantages in comparison to Usenet/this proposal?

I'll simply reply about mailing lists vs Usenet, without regard to
your proposal, which I might not completely understand...

I'm on at least 25 mailing lists. If I had to go out to 25 different
places to get my information, I'd never get anything done. With mailing
lists, posts come to me: I don't need to go searching hither and yon
for them.

To me, that's why mailing lists are hugely superior to forums. That's
also why most free software projects have mailing lists, not forums.

SteveT