Re: Proposal: An alternative to mailing lists which isn't a forum

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 23:16:33 +0300
softwatt <softwatt@gmx.com> wrote:

> I have been contemplating the merits of mailing lists and comparing
> them with those of forums,

[snip]

> If you're really impatient and prefer examples, head to the "usage
> example" at the bottom of the mail and skip the rest.
>
> Advantages of mailing lists:
>  - Integrated with your mailing client
>  - Filters
>  - Work offline
>  - Builtin PGP support
>  - several others I haven't mentioned, but most of them stem from #1

You missed the biggest 2 advantages of mailing lists:

1) The messages come to you, you don't need to remember to go out to two
   dozen forums to find your conversations.

2) You don't need to log in to post a reply.

I'm on several forums. But invariably, as time goes on, I forget their
existence. The day's just too busy to walk around the web visiting
groups.

SteveT