a few basic questions about apt-build

Dear Debianists,

I installed apt-build on a laptop (amd 64) (I am running Jessie amd64 installation).

I am still learning about it.

It asks you to choose the optimisation setting.

I chose native.

But I suspect that was not right.

I then did apt-build install efl.....

and it found the source file and installed it and compiled it.

I also found a potential bug problem see:

http://hacklog.in/ubuntu-build-from-source-using-apt-build/

I will follow the advice on it.

At a simple level, if you do apt-build install efl (or any other package) then it will look in what I assume is a debian repository (found in the sources.list file) and unpack the tar file and possible use the .dsc file if there is one and then compile and install the corresponding deb file.  It also would compile and install any dependent files (if I understand it correctly) that were needed if it could not find them in my installation.

I also tried apt-build install terminology (the terminal emulator in enlightenment).

I got an error message saying it could not find this package.

It might be the bug problem above, but in some cases a source file I am interested in won't be in the debian repostories.

It might just be sitting on a developer's web site etc.

At a dumb level, is there a way to help apt-build get it from the web site with a bit of prompting?

If you would download the tar file from the developer's web site, you could extract it and then run e.g. dpkg in some way to compile it.

But I would prefer to use apt-build with it.

I looked at the various command options for apt-build but I couldn't see one that was designed to not worry about finding the source package in a repository but just look for it in a local directory on my laptop and install it from there.

Suggestions on this are most welcome.

Regards

Michael Fothergill