Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 16:08:05 -0700
koanhead <koanhead@riseup.net> wrote:

> >> Any service you're not currently using should be disabled. Any
> >> service you won't use should not be installed.
> >
> > Yeah. But ;/ The devil is in the details.
> > Where is a list of services.
> There's one at /etc/services. It's a list of 'well-known' services and
> their associated ports, not a list of things which are installed or
> running.

I think this is an OS language issue, Windows refers to daemons as
'services'. Oh, and Windows also has an etc\services list, of the IP
services...

To the OP, good luck with finding out what daemons are 'essential'. I
can remember when I used to know what all the daemons did...

--
Joe