Re: obnam speed

Philippe Clérié wrote:
> I'm curious to know how fast obnam is for other users.
>
> My home network is mostly Gigabit Ethernet. Measuring with iperf, the best
> speed I get is around 600Mbps, maybe 700Mbps depending on the computers
> involved.
>
> With obnam, speeds are anywhere below 50Mbps. Even with no other traffic on
> the network.

obnam is heavily influenced by latency between the 2 computers.
So using obnam across a transatlantic link will be slow, even if the
link is fast.

obnam is also not super-fast even when run locally, backing up to a
local drive. I have not tried to get to the bottom of that; some of it
could be due to gpg overhead, and some to innefficient use of the filesystem.

Some quick benchmarks suggest obnam might only be saturating around 20%
of the total available disk (or network) bandwidth, under optimal
conditions (ie, backup to a SSD).

--
see shy jo