Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun 05 Oct 2014 at 12:01:48 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> when running `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'  I've run accross a few
>> of the questions that are confusing to me...
>>
>> The current one I'm stumbling over is
>>
>> 1)  A question about listing of host IPs the smtp listener will
>>     listen for...
>>
>> And then later on there is
>> 2) A question about which hosts your server will relay for.
>>
>> (NOTE: These question do not appear back to back as I have them here)
>>
>> I probably have this all wrong but isn't the first question referring
>> to remote IPs that will be using the server as smtp server.
>
> I cannot find the first question you describe. It might be best to
> quote it in full and relate it to mail relaying.

Pay no attention to the numbers I used, they have no baring on order
of questions on the ncurses questionnaire one gets when running:

 `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'

I posted this as 1)

│ Please enter a semicolon-separated list of IP addresses. The Exim SMTP    │
│ listener daemon will listen on all IP addresses listed here.              │
│                                                                           │
│ An empty value will cause Exim to listen for connections on all           │
│ available network interfaces.                                             │
│                                                                           │
│ If this system only receives mail directly from local services (and not   │
│ from other hosts), it is suggested to prohibit external connections to    │
│ the local Exim daemon. Such services include e-mail programs (MUAs)       │
│ which talk to localhost only as well as fetchmail. External connections   │
│ are impossible when 127.0.0.1 is entered here, as this will disable       │
│ listening on public network interfaces.
│

And this as 2)

│ Please enter a semicolon-separated list of IP address ranges for which    │
│ this system will unconditionally relay mail, functioning as a smarthost.  │
│ You should use the standard address/prefix format (e.g. 194.222.242.0/24  │
│ or 5f03:1200:836f::/48).                                                  │
│ If this system should not be a smarthost for any other host, leave this   │
│ list blank.                                                               │
│ Machines to relay mail for:                                               │