apt update problems

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 4, 2014 10:10:02 AM CDT
Subject: Re: apt update problems

On Oct 4, 2014, at 9:21 AM, Brian wrote:

On Sat 04 Oct 2014 at 08:05:26 -0500, John Aten wrote:

On Oct 4, 2014, at 5:25 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

Here's everything again, with some comments to explain what each line
does:

# This is the security archive for the wheezy release. Every wheezy
# system should have it and update/upgrade regularly from it.
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

# This is the 'updates' archive, for packages that most probably will
# be included in the next point release and some special packages that
# need more frequent updates to be useful
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

# This is the regular archive containing the packages of the latest
# Debian stable release (including all point releases).
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

I had a similar problem recently. Daxko on this list recommended
installing netselect and netselect-apt, which will select the fastest
mirror and generate a sources.list file for you. I don't think the
syntax of mine was off, I believe I was attempting to use an outdated
mirror. Anyhow, netselect-apt fixed the problem, and then some.

Ok, http://http.debian.net won't write out a sources.list file for you
but one of its functions is to choose a fast mirror. Amongst the reasons for
choosing it instead of specifying a particular geographical mirror are

1. It is easy to remember.

2. It doesn't take long to type in a sources.list.

3. It works the same way anywhere on Earth so there is no need to alter
 sources.list if you travel a lot.

4. It does parallel downloads and will probably max out your connection.

5. Outdated mirrors are avoided.

The developer's introduction to the service is at

 http://rgeissert.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/introducing-httpdebiannet-debians.html

That's awesome, I had never heard of that before!