Re: Messages from starting services while booting

op 25-09-14 13:04, Paul van der Vlis schreef:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Wheezy, and on some machines I see messages from starting
> services while booting, and on some machines I don't see them.
>
> Can somebody explain me how this works? I have the idea that I don't see
> messages on fast machines.
>
> And can I control this?  On some servers I like to see the messages from
> the services when the machine boots.

The point was a wrong configured serial console.

In /etc/default/grub I had this lines after the default lines:
----
GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty0 console=ttyS2,115200n81"
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --unit=1 --speed=115200 --stop=1"
----
But ttyS2 was wrong! The serial console is the second serial port, and
that's ttyS1, counting from 0. Using ttyS2 gave strange problems, and
this was one of them. Even an attached screen and bootlogd gave no
messages of starting services.

After changing to ttyS1 is everything OK now.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl