Re: systemd-shim to be removed?

On 10/01/2014 at 10:15 AM, Rusi Mody wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:40:03 AM UTC+5:30, Don Armstrong
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Rusi Mody wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah one more systemd thread [Not a rant!] I am getting that
>>> systemd-shim is to be removed. Is this expected?
>
>> It looks like you are trying to install systemd-shim amd64 and
>> systemd-shim i386 at the same time, but it's not totally clear.

No - that's just the result of 'aptitude why-not' trying to find a
conflicting-dependencies path. As far as I can tell, the algorithm used
for that hasn't been properly modified to correctly account for some of
the ramifications of multiarch; as a result, this sort of
"self-conflict" from cross-arch versions of a single package crops up
all the time in the "dependency chains" aptitude finds with that
command.

>> What's the complete output of the command that you're trying to
>> run and the output of apt-cache policy foopkg; for the affected
>> packages?
>
> I'll try and answer your specific questions as I understand them.
> What is the (set of) affected packages I dont really know so...
>
> The command I am running is aptitude dist-upgrade and its output is
> below.
>
> However I have a more basic question. Do I need systemd-shim? Given
>  1. Currently I am running systemd as pid-1

No. If you have systemd as PID 1, systemd-shim is redundant...

> 2. If needed I can start sysv with grub-line
> init=/lib/sysvinit/init

...although without it, you will have some missing functionality if you
ever do this.

> [At least it was working a few weeks ago and I see the file is
> still there :-) ]
>

> ------------------------ Output of aptitude dist-upgrade:

> systemd-shim : Breaks: systemd (< 209) but 208-8 is installed.

This is because a new version of systemd-shim made it into the archive
(or at least specifically the section of the archive you're using - I
imagine it's testing), but the corresponding required version of systemd
hasn't made it into the (same section of the) archive yet.

In that situation, you have three options:

* Postpone upgrading until the matching new version of systemd is
available. (You can probably still upgrade the rest of your system with
judicious use of package pinning, but that's beyond the scope of this
mail.)

* Remove systemd.

* Remove systemd-shim.

Given what you've said above, I suspect removing systemd-shim will be
the right choice in your case.

- --
   The Wanderer