Re: bash vulnerability jessie

On Vi, 26 sep 14, 16:35:15, Harry Putnam wrote:
> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> >> But here.... After finishing the post you quote above... I again
> >> ran `aptitude full-upgrade' (this is minutes ago) And there were no
> >> packages shown and nothing was done.
> >
> > When did you last run 'apt-get update' or similar?
>
> Bingo... last upd was last week.  But running it just now, followed by
> full-upgrade got me a new bash version.

You should *always* run 'apt-get update' (or equivalent) before any
install/upgrade/dist-upgrade runs.

If you're machine is fully upgraded, i.e. 'apt-get upgrade' returns
something like

# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

running any kind of upgrade/dist-upgrade command is pointless, because
your apt can't know there are new (versions of) packages on the mirrors.

If your machine is not fully up-to-date or you want to install something
without running 'update' first you will probably get in strange
situations where your apt is trying to download packages (versions) that
don't exits on your mirrors (anymore).

You have to run 'update' first, so that apt has fresh lists of packages.

Did I mention you should run 'apt-get update' before running other apt
commands? Ok, you don't really need it for remove/purge, but it doesn't
hurt either. So don't forget to run 'apt-get update' before
install/upgrade or dist-upgrade.

Kind regards,
Andrei