Re: apt-get errors

Chris Bannister wrote:
> John Aten wrote:
> > Err http://http.us.debian.org wheezy/non-free i386 Packages 404 Not
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Wow!! How long ago did you last update this laptop? IIRC, that url/mirror
> is no longer in use.

That alias is still alive and active and should be okay to use.  It
just isn't the preferred thing these days.  But it shouldn't cause
harm by using it.

  $ host http.us.debian.org
  http.us.debian.org is an alias for ftp.us.debian.org.

So no difference from ftp.us.debian.org which is still just fine to
use.

I am still using the ftp.us.debian.org for most things here in the US.
But the redirector at http.debian.net is gaining a good reputation and
I am using it and recommending it more and more.  I think it will
eventually get promoted to be a first class debian.org service.

Bob