Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

Am Freitag, 26. September 2014, 13:08:50 schrieb The Wanderer:
> On 09/26/2014 at 12:44 PM, Martin Read wrote:
> > On 26/09/14 16:09, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >> - but the resulting impacts should be taken up with each and
> >> every upstream developer?
> >
> > As far as I can see, the issue that people are suggesting should
> > be taken up with upstream developers is "application XYZ has
> > annoying and seemingly unnecessary dependencies on interfaces of
> > systemd, making it hard to keep systemd off my systems".
>
> The trouble with recommending to take that upstream is that it's
> entirely legitimate for a program to depend on externally-provided
> interfaces, and indeed in the conceptual ideal a program should neither
> know nor care what provides those interfaces.
>
> It would be better, from a design perspective, to fix the unnecessary
> dependency problems at the core - that is, in systemd - rather than
> requiring all of the upstreams to make changes in response to changes in
> systemd.
>
> Only if systemd upstream will be uncooperative, and refuse to fix the
> problems, would taking it to the multiple upstreams make sense - and
> even then, forking systemd or providing another source for the systemd
> interfaces would probably be a better solution. (Though still not as
> good as fixing the design at the core.)

I didn´t suggest to take this upstream to projects utilizing systemd only.

I just suggested taking it upstream.

Whatever upstream seems approbiate to take it, by all means do it. Also if the
upstream is systemd.

I started a thread voicing my concerns about the polarity and resistance
systemd seems to create.

But again: If you just insist on complaining here *only*, *nothing* and I
repeat *nothing* will ever change about anything what you dislike about
systemd.

So if you *really* want change, you *act*. Its *that* *simple*.

Take is upstream with systemd, take it upstream with GNOME for logind, take it
upstream with ConsoleKit developers if there are any left. Help uselessd
developers, test their variant of systemd, help systembsd people, offer to
package it for Debian, organize a vote and present the hypothetical big
majority for not having systemd as a default in Debian to debian developers…

… but by any means if you really want change, do something that facilitates
it.

Now I will talk myself into stopping replying here. I made my point and I
think it is best for me to filter the threads and hope that the group (thread)
ignore feature in KMail works okay now, or report a bug about it, if it does
not.

If you want to continue to misunderstand me or take my words too literally, if
you want to continue to rationalize in order to resist going farer than just
complaining, thats your choice, but please leave me alone with it. (Well thats
my job, and I work on it. By trying out the group ignore feature next.)