Re: updating squeeze to wheezy

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:25:23PM -0400, John Lindsay wrote:
> Greeting
>
> I have been trying to update my Debian 6 (squeeze) to Debian 7 (wheezy). I
> have been reading the following URLs and trying to make sense of them with
> respect to upgrading.
>
> >http://www.garron.me/en/linux/upgrade-debian-squeeze-wheezy-6.0-7.0.html
> >http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-debian-squeeze-to-wheezy
> >www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#backup
> >http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-debian-linux-upgrade-6-squeeze-to-7-wheezy/
> >http://www.pontikis.net/blog/debian-upgrade-squeeze-t
> I've done a backup (nothing is critical on my system though). I have
> modified my /etc/apt/sources.list from squeeze to wheezy.
>
> I've followed the instructions (primarily from www.howtoforge) and did a
> reboot.
>
> Typing uname -a
>
> I get
>
> Linux debian 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Sun Sep 23 09:49:36 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
>

> Typing lsb_release -a
>
> I get
>
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:    Debian
> Release:    6.0.6
> Codename:    squeeze
>
> Obviously it failed to upgrade to wheezy. Any hints/suggestions/hep would be
> appreciated.

Umm, what went wrong?

Did you do an update/upgrade/dist-upgrade?

What error messages did you get?

I'm sorry but you haven't provided much info, to be helpful. I don't
want to read through 3rd party links and then yoyo back and forth.

Just tell us the steps you took and where it failed.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X