Re: 24/7 servers and FSCK

Hello, there.

If you run fsck on a mounted filesystem, fsck will not do anything,
except if you ask it to run without correcting anything — in fact, if my
memory serves me well, even a read-only check will likely fail because
of the filesystem changes made by processes as fsck works on it. The
only way to let him correct errors found and update filesystem check
counters is to unmount the filesystem before checking it; this implies
shutting down any service or task using it before starting fsck, so, if
your goal in to minimize shutdown delay, it won't really work. Besides,
you just can't do this with your / filesystem, so it can only be checked
on startup. As you can see, it would be much easier and effective to
schedule a full system fsck at next reboot and schedule this reboot at a
low load moment.

Regards.

P.-S.: hoping I'm not saying bullshit; as a sysadmin, I use fsck only
during reboots as much as I can.

--
David Guyot
Administrateur système, réseau et télécom / Sysadmin