Re: Bash Code Injection Vulnerability via Specially Crafted Environment Variables (CVE-2014-6271)

On 09/24/2014 at 04:52 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Bash Code Injection Vulnerability via Specially Crafted
> Environment Variables (CVE-2014-6271)
>
> https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223
>
> My current Debian setup is vulnerable, as shown below:
>
> ============================================== slitt@mydesq2:~$ env
> x='() { :;}; \ echo vulnerable'  bash -c "echo this is a test"
> vulnerable this is a test

> slitt@mydesq2:~$ bash --version GNU bash, version 4.2.37(1)-release
> (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

> Does anyone know if there's an fix for Debian's bash, and how to
> install it?

As already noted, there's been a debian-security-announce alert about
this, for a fix in wheezy.

For testing, I don't know how comprehensive it is, but I ran a variant
of that same test on my system (with bash 4.3.9) and got a successful
pass - no vulnerability indicated.

Online reports have indicated that bash 4.3.x is affected, and I haven't
updated bash since before these reports hit, so I don't know what the
true shape of the picture is. The data point seemed potentially worth
mentioning, however.

A quick test also indicates that, as mostly expected, dash (the Debian
Almquist shell, which provides /bin/sh by default in current Debian) is
apparently not affected.

- --
   The Wanderer